Friday, May 12, 2006

Shut-Out Inning! (by A, edited by Mom)

This is A writing. Last night our baseball team won 6 to 5! It started out terrible, with our first pitcher (“P”) walking everyone. Then our second inning pitcher (“J”) did the same. However, in the bottom of that inning, we scored two runs. In the third inning, the score was 5 to 2, and I was pitching. I walked two batters. The third batter hit a slow grounder that I fielded. I threw to first base and got him out! Then I struck out the next batter. I walked the next batter. The bases were loaded. It was cold and had started to rain. One of their biggest hitters was up at the plate. I threw a perfect strike, and he hit it straight to me! I threw it to first. He was out! The inning was over. They scored no runs while I was pitching.

In the bottom of that same inning, we scored 3 runs to tie the game. After a scoreless fourth inning, it was very dark. The coaches decided that the 5th inning would be the last one. Our pitcher in the 5th inning pitched much slower than the pitcher we had in the 4th inning, so the players on the other team all swung too early and struck out. Now it was our turn to bat.

J struck out. He was followed by P, who hit a single. While C was up, P stole second. Then C hit a brilliant home run right over the left fielder’s head. It was so high he didn’t even see it, so the center fielder had to run back to the fence and get it. By the time they got the ball back into the infield, both P and C had scored. But the second run didn’t count because we won when P crossed the plate. It was an amazing come-back!

No comments: