Monday, May 25, 2009

Whoosh!

You know what that sound represents? The month of May, which just flew by me at the speed of sound. There it goes! All gone.

What did I spend the month doing? Well, not cleaning my house, apparently. I have been to a lot of softball and baseball games for the kids. Neither team is doing very well, but the kids are progressing and that's the important thing. Rich and I have been shocked anew by the small-town politics and the killer competition that seem so prevalent in the kids' sports. Get a life, people. Go root for professionals--the Phillies would appreciate your support, and get paid well to deal with the emotions of fans. Can we try NOT to crush the hopes out of our 10 to 12 year olds?

OK, my soapbox is put away now.

I read The Woman in White, by Wilkie Collins. I loved it, and highly recommend it. Imagine Charles Dicken writing a detective novel, and that's really what this was. It could have bee a little tighter with the plot, and it was a little wordy, but the characterizations were terrific.

I planted the vegetable garden and the planters, and built a new fence around the garden to keep the plants fro becoming the Daily Buffet for the bunnies and the deer. The fence is just poultry mesh staple-gunned to stakes--not nearly as attractive as last year's little picket number, but hopefully it do the job a little better. Oh well. I was willing to sacrifice beauty for practicality. I don't want anyone chewing my chard and beans down to the grounds this year, thank you.

I've knit a couple and a half squares for the Great American Afghan.
GAA Sqare 5
DSCN0845
DSCN0843
I made a cotton veggie/shopping bag for Mom's birthday--forget I said that Mom, if, by chance, you should actually read this.
DSCN0842

And I'm having some worries about this summer--specifically with regard to my job and my need for childcare. A change may be called for. I am not sure that my current position is the best for me, or that I am providing what my employer really would prefer, anyway. I think she'd rather have someone cheaper who would be available at her beck and call all day. I'm not going to do that. So ... I've applied for a couple positions on line just to see what happens. I would love to find something that did not requre commuting to Philadelphia.

Well, that's really all I've got today. I'll try to post more often than once a month!

No comments: