Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Christmas is not good for Blogging

You know, you would think that something as special as Christmas would actually be great for blogging, but it's not. You can't post about gifts before they are given because, well, duh. During Christmas you (hopefully) got to see your friends and family, so you don't need to blog for them to hear about what's going on in your life. And then after Christmas? Well, you're just too exhausted to blog.
DSCN1416_edited
See? Rich and Rudolph were completely wiped out.

Now that we are in the second week of January, and everyone is (more or less) back in their routines, I figured I should take a few minutes to post an update here. But, at this point, I am not sure I remember everything that I wanted to say....!

Catgirl's cheer squad finally got to start cheering at games (prior games had been cancelled because of the snow), and they are having a great time. Here she was, all ready to go to the first game:
DSCN1417
(She takes off the flannel pants and her glasses for the actual cheering.) A few parents and I stayed to cheer the cheerleaders for the first couple Sundays, and I got some video with my new digital video recorder. We had fun, and I am learning more about basketball than I ever knew.

Knitting Stuff:
Many lovely gifts were exchanged over Christmas at our house between us and between our wonderful extended families. I did not knit very many gifts this year--last year I had plenty of knitting time for small projects while commuting on the train, so nearly everyone I know got a hat. This year, I just had a few things, a couple of which were finished in the nick of time.

This hat
DSCN1314
went to my Mom. She has been talking for ages about how she wanted a blue hat. I did make one a couple years ago, but I am not sure it was what she wanted. Anyway, this one was waaay prettier, waaaay cooler. This is the Snapdragon Tam by Ysolda Teague , in Madeline Tosh worsted yarn. I so wanted to keep it. I also made a pink one, which Catgirl and I are sharing. Actually, in her point of view, it is hers and I keep stealing it from her. Oh well.

I also made this scarf
DSCN1346
for Leslie. This is the Scroll Lace Scarf, also from Ysolda, in some Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport I had in my stash.

I also finished the Veyla mitts
DSCN1414
in a cashmere/wool blend from my stash. How sad that I did not finish them in time for Christmas, so I have to keep them for myself. These are amazing! The color is kind of blah, and I did not love the yarn to knit with, but the finished mitts are so incredibly soft. I love how high and tight they are on the wrist, too. This pattern is yet another Ysolda design. I am really enjoying Ysolda's patterns, and will be making more, I know it.

Finally, I also finished the vest for Rich--yes, the one started back in ... September, was it? You'd think I could do a vest in less than three months, even a man-sized one, but what can I say? The pattern got boring. I had made the same pattern for Mathboy in the spring, so my boredom threshold was messed up. Anyway, it was done by New Year's Eve, and I was glad to start a new year without it hanging over my head. Rich is wearing it in the picture at the top of this post. It would go better with a light-colored shirt, but when your man happily takes what you knitted for him and puts it on right away ... you don't argue that it would go better with a different shirt.

No comments: