Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Overheard at the Farm Fair

Rich and I took the kids to the Burlington County Farm Fair last week. It's always a pretty fun event: they have rides, pig races, horse shows, tractor parades and fair food. But I think the most interesting part are the 4-H kids showing off all their animals.

Many people were pushing kids in strollers around the 4-H animal tents, showing their kids the animals. We particularly enjoyed walking through the poultry tent, admiring the chickens, and wondering if ours would grow up to be as pretty as some of the chickens at the fair were.

Several chickens had an egg in their little cages with them. I guess they had laid eggs in the time since their owners had last checked on them. At one point, after I had passed a cage which held a chicken with a big brown egg, I heard a dad behind me point out the egg to the little girl in the stroller he was pushing. He said, "Look, honey: he laid an egg!"

Just in case you missed that, let me repeat: the man said, "He laid an egg."

No comments: