Saturday, June 02, 2007

Progress? Well....

It depends on what you are asking about, of course. Look: my van made progress, going over 100,000 miles this week. There were days when I swore it would never make it this far. I clearly underestimated it. I made some (very) small progress in stash reduction, knitting up these super-quick and inexplicably enjoyable squares of garter stitch on the bias. I used up a lonely not-quite-complete skein of Noro Silk Garden I've had hanging around for a while now, left over from a sweater I made. It was one of those things where I loved the yarn so much that I could not just throw this small leftover skein away (plus it was not cheap), but I had no idea what to do with it. So I made these squares for the Rebuilding Greensburg project.
I also made a couple squares with leftover sock yarn held together with some leftover black dk yarn from a sweater I made, oh, eons ago. The woman who began this project plans to make over 40 afghans for families in Greensburg KS with the squares she is collecting. All I can say is ... wow.

I made sock progress. I finished the Farmhouse Socks that Rock. There is no new picture of the FO, because I have taken enough pix of those darn things and I am sick of looking at them. As soon as I finished them I packed them away for colder weather and started these...
Look: already one sock done for Cat Crazy Daughter (she asked I refer to her by a fun name rather than just her initial). This is the Crystal Palace Panda Cotton in Vanilla Cream, a color chosen by Cat Crazy Daughter and bought from The Loopy Ewe. These were done toe-up on size 0 needles. I worked from the basic sock recipes out there and used a lace rib on the instep and leg. I still love working with this yarn. It feels incredible. Unfortunately, the foot for which this sock was made has gone to the pool for the afternoon, so I can't show a picture of it being worn. It fits her well--but not tightly. This yarn is nice and stretchy so I hope the 8-year-old-foot can wear it for a while. I just started the second sock. I also started this...
The Montego Bay scarf from this month's Interweave Knits magazine (look here and scroll down) in Handmaiden Sea Silk in the Paris colorway, also from The Loopy Ewe. There is no way I can adequately convey how completely gorgeous this yarn is. It even has a slight smell of the ocean to it. I know that sounds kind of icky, but it's really cool. The only irritating thing so far is that, for some reason, it was very difficult to wind. It does tangle rather easily. I only have about 12 inches done and I would like to finish it for Mom's birthday in about 3 weeks. Doable, I think. And this skein was so huge I should have enough left to make something else!

So. I haven't mentioned the sloggin' denim cardigan. Why? Because I barely have touched it since my last blog entry. It's not very portable and it is at a point where I really have to pay attention to what I am doing with it, and that just hasn't fit with my lifestyle for the past couple of weeks. It is due to become even less portable, because I realized I really should sew the fronts and the back together before I continue doing the button-band-slash-collar-thing. It's languishing on the rocking chair next to my side of the bed, so I have to look at it a lot and think about how I should be working on it, but other things are much more attractive.

No comments: